Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Rain - and last rites

Though I wasn’t here during the time of the Big Rains and the July flood, I have become slightly paranoid about the situation. Any hint of grey skies and even a little drizzle is apt to make me feel a bit panicky. I feel like cancelling appointments for the day and staying home, curled up with a book or with my computer. Beset by images of roads flooded neck deep with gutter water and open drains down which you could find yourself being sucked. Being drowned in your own car. Ugh.

+++

Vishnu recently mailed me saying he and Peg were coming to India in Feb and if I liked he could help me immerse Nalinima’s ashes. I told him I would have to consult Tukaram on that – deputy manager of flat no 11 Rewa Apts. (Mum’s the chief). When I asked Tuks he was delighted. Said it was the best thing that could happen, regarding my grandmother’s spiritual development. In other words it is good to have a son or grandson to immerse your ashes and conduct the last rites. (I got a glimpse at this point into the Indian mania for sons!) Women are not the same. Like they might be nice (eg me) but all they’re good for is to cook and bear and raise children etc. Considering I do none of that, I don’t know what Tuks really thinks of me. One thing is, he thinks I am terribly untidy and tells me my room is in an appalling state. Then we both agree that something should be done about it. This has been going on for a few years I guess.

Off to Vijay's place for lunch. Because of my internet connection being down the last few days I have been going there to check mail and it is a nice ritual involving ginger tea provided by Jagannath, and intermittent chatting with Vijay who when he is not talking to me is busy with the phone, hanging around in his pyjamas or shorts.

The internet has just come alive again but since we both settled on lunch I thought I would keep the appointment. Besides it is not raining!

No comments: