Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Back in Bombay

Back home and still in the process of settling down. It was good to see everyone again. Saru and Parvati filled me in on my grandmother's last few hours. Parvati came over in the morning and wept and wept over her death and I sat and comforted her. Yes it does feel a bit strange visiting her flat with her not being around. And I realise that even if a person is ninety six and vague in the head they can still leave a kind of vacuum behind when they depart. Maybe it is just their presence. Maybe all of us, regardless of age and intellectual ability and other things by which we judge each other have what one could call "presence" and this is the essence of who we are. Maybe this is what you mostly like about someone and miss when the person is not around. It is difficult to describe.

Mishi is still acting a bit uppity. She came and sniffed around my bed last night and sniffed at me and lay down near my feet for a while but not for long. Busy converting the music I've brought along into MP3 format. Things seem generally okay.

No comments: