Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Prien

There have been messages from various people in the last two days, about my grandmother - from people who knew and loved her, like from my old school friend and classmate and punching bag Rani, whose daughter Aparna took that last photo of my grandmother which I used in the blog. And others which were good to read. My own feeling is that this great old lady did reach a ripe old age and it was logical that it was time for the next move in her life. The only regret like I mentioned before was that I was not around but now that too doesn`t seem to matter because there were other people with her and she was not alone.

This entry is made in Prien, where I am staying with Ariela and Thomas. Quite a contrast to the Sedlacek`s house in the back of beyond. Here we are practically in the middle of the city with cafes and shops about a ten minute walk away. (I must say I like it!) Traffic sounds surround me as I write, and every hour (or is it half hour) there is this toy train which runs from the station to the lake shore which hoots and toots and hurtles right past the house.

As Ayse and Heinz`s house was sparsely furnished the B`s home is crammed with stuff - with books and cassesttes and CD`s and clothes and you know, even if you dont see them, that there are kids involved. This morning Ariela and Felix have gone out. She to the gym and he to the babysitter. Last night we sat up late chatting over a drink. Ariela was most apologetic about not having red wine around but then she unearthed a bottle of Greek red wine which she opened. It was rather sweet and perfectly horrible but I managed to down a couple of glasses and slept very well after that!

Am working on a Mac right now, with which I am not too familiar. The usual settings and icons are missing so uploading photos will not be possible.

No comments: