Thursday, August 04, 2005

patience

Ariela has been rushing around reorganising furniture and re-arranging the house madly for the upcoming workshop. Dragging tables from one room to another, shifting people (I am now to sleep in a bedroom upstairs instead of where I am at present on the main floor) and generally cleaning up. In between all the activity she takes a break and we sit at the dining table and chat, with Felix madly rushing around us and knocking his head against my stomach every five minutes with the sheer excitment of being alive. (He has a really hard head and it hurts when he butts it against any part of your body which he does frequently!)

We make desultory conversation. Ariela tells me I am very patient. Too patient, she says, seeing me try to ignore Feli and I help her out, "You mean disgustingly patient?" She nods. "Yes." Then adds, "You know, you can afford to be more angry,"

I think of the times when I have been angry and thrown tantrums and how I´ve willingly left that part of my life behind. But yes, I do also feel that there are times when it is not a bad thing to shout and scream and exhibit your temper. Maybe it is okay as long as you are in charge of your feelings and not the other way around.

+++

Walked through the town this afternoon past the station from where the toy train starts. A train had just got back and a lot of elderly tourists and parents with children who had disembarked, ambled down the road towards the main street. I continued walking and discovered a Thai fast food joint, in the pedestrian zone close by, with tables laid out on the street so I stopped and had a clear carrot and chicken noodle soup with a lot of ginger and bean sprouts thrown in, which was quite good. A couple of foreign girls seemed to have decided to share a table and were exchanging notes about who they were and from where. They spoke bad German but managed to communicate. One of them the younger one (said she was twenty three though she looked older) said she was Italian. When she asked the other woman her age (I couldn`t make out where she was from) she shied off the question at first. "Very old," she said. Then added after some time that she was thirty two. (She looked younger than that). Found a wine shop on the way back and decided to buy a bottle of Merlot for the evening. Once the workshop begins we`ll have to go dry.

No comments: