Thursday, August 18, 2005

Lunch Time Conversations



Uma and Basia in Frankfurt

Basia and I met yesterday for lunch at an Italian restaurant close to where Sabine lives. I had a pizza with artichoke and salami, which was quite good and which had a thin crust which I far prefer to the thick one. As usual we chatted about family and Samuel`s workshops and Basia`s own attempts to start a group in Frankfurt especially now that the group room which she is renovating is almost ready.

Not for the first time we spoke about Samuel`s "money workshops" (Workshops based on the theme of money). How money is really a "taboo" between us and how little we like to really talk about it or look at it honestly. Most of the time pretending it doesn`t exist and that it doesn`t affect our relationships.

For example, Basia said, it is not done to say "I have enough." You have more than you can cope with and say, an uncle or aunt dies and you inherit their wealth. It is unimaginable to say, "I don`t really need it, let someone else enjoy it."

Money is somehow an embarrassing topic for most of us. Maybe we need to look at it more carefully.

+++

Sabine who was down with a bad stomach infection (mainly throwing up) all of day before yesterday, has recovered now. Yesterday evening she wanted me to make my famous fish curry, which I did, and which she relished. We sat out on the balcony for quite a while, me with a bottle of wine and a cigarillo, catching up on all the happenings in our lives. At some point Dwight called from Toronto though the traffic noise was so penetrant that eventually we agreed to follow up on our conversation the next day (today).

1 comment:

basicworld said...

Dear Uma,

I have been reading your posts till my computer got badly infested. I loved reading your chronicle and it has been vivid even without the photographs. At one time I felt I should start sketching in pictures to go along with your notes!! Well I still cant sketch figures in action yet!

Please continue your postings even when you are back:)